we didn't have any big plans for this weekend, so we took advantage of our time and completed phase one of 'operation fix-my-garden'. i also managed to knock something off my list!
i have two rock gardens in my yard that needed major overhaul. i basically have neglected them since tucker was born. this was the worst year by far, as i haven't touched them at all. gardeners all over the land would cringe knowing the weeds were basically as tall as my toddler. whoops.
on friday, we bought five yards of black dirt (REAL black dirt from the southern part of the state). matt brought his dad's dump truck and bobcat in to help rip out the old and bring in the new. friday night we completed the first garden.
here is the before shot (one hell of a scary sight):
here is the after shot (oh yeah baby):
on saturday morning, we got up and cleared out the second garden. tucker LOVED riding in the bobcat with matt. he wasn't even out of his pj's yet when we were out the door. i threw his hat and shoes on, sprayed him with sunscreen, and out we went to work.
here is the before shot taken on friday (natalie and tucker were playing on the swingset):
here is a shot after we leveled the sucker off (there's matt and tucker in the bobcat):
and here is the final shot of it this afternoon (oh yeah baby):
i could post a ton of different shots, but really, pictures just don't do it justice.
random thoughts about this project:
- love the two big rocks matt brought in from his parents place (thanks jamie)! they make a great addition to each garden.
- so happy i put my birdbath in the back garden.
- praying to god the deer stay the FRICK out. i have many plants they won't eat, but i'm sure those bastards will destroy something.
- love using the river rock i wanted to get rid of as an accent in both gardens.
- i hate ants and spiders (and most other insects).
- grateful for my husband and stepmom's help with this project.
- hoping the gardens thrive and are bigger and better next year!
i say this is phase one because i have a million other project around our yard i want to do. i have gardens along our house that i need to revamp. we are going to be putting in a slab patio and then using our current deck to build a small porch on the front of our house as well as a sandbox for tucker. i need to trim all of the bushes in our yard. i need to mow. and weedwhip. see, the list never ends. :)