this friday, i'm going to ask you some serious questions. serious questions about paper. and organization. and paper. i work in an office, yet at home, i can't seem to get my papers organized, which leads to clutter ... piles on the counter or table or jammed away somewhere ... and it's driving me nuts.
here we go:
- do you have a system for filing papers? if so, share what it is!
- what is your biggest issue with paper clutter?
- how long do you keep payroll check stubs from your employer?
- how long do you keep utility bills once they've been paid?
- do you keep receipts for any purchases?
and my answers are:
- um, sort of but not really. i have two filing folder paper organizer things that have the folders in them and older papers, but since i fell off that wagon ... they only collect dust. they are now sitting in my living room waiting for me to give them new life with new paper. currently, i try to throw as much as i 'feel safe' tossing ... but i have everything organized into about 5 different folders (which are awaiting a final resting place). the folders are for photography/business, flex spending reimbursement, medical, 2009 taxes, and the last one is ... everything else (payroll stubs, utilities, misc.). not a good system right now.
- there is too much of it. i don't know what to save and for how long.
- i keep these for what seems like forever. i'm not sure why.
- i pay them (usually online) and then write my verification down on the bill. usually once i know it's paid i will toss the bill away. if i can find it in the rest of the clutter. :)
- i keep receipts for only our bigger purchases, but i swear when the time comes to find them (god forbid i need them) i wouldn't be able to! they get lost in the sea of other paperwork. i wanted one of those neat receipt scanners for stuff, but they are kind of expensive. maybe i will treat myself to one for a gift at some point. you can scan whatever in them. that would be so ... neat.
now, i'm not trying to say my entire house looks like an office with papers scattered everywhere. it's like an organized mess. i really don't have my own office area (secretly hoping that when the boys can share a room i can use the nursery as my office ... or something) ... so it is even more important to have my 'system' portable or easy to hide.
i'm sure i've posted about this before, but it seemed like a good rainy day topic here. that's right ... we are FINALLY getting some rain. i love rainy days. even if they aren't good flip flop weather.
anyways, it's your turn. tell me about your paper organization!